UPDATE: The 2019 Undergraduate Syposium takes place Saturday, March 30, the day before the conference, 12:00 – 5:00 pm. It will be held in the UMD iSchool Hornbake Library North Room 0215.
Undergraduate Symposium Overview
The Undergraduate Symposium is a new event. iConference 2019 will present this networking and professional development opportunity for undergraduate participants as a pre-conference event. During the Symposium, undergraduate students will meet with other undergraduate conference participants, discuss relevant issues, and interact with pertinent faculty. Application is required.
The Undergraduate Symposium will be a half-day event taking place on Saturday, March 30, 2019; this is the day before iConference 2019. Discussion topics will include:
- Navigating the iConference: how it works and how to get the most out of it;
- Careers for information professionals: navigating “the real world”;
- Contemplating graduate school: the whys and hows of attending a graduate school;
- Professional and personal identities in the university and at work;
- Other topics and concerns as they arise.
If you wish to participate in the Undergraduate Symposium, you must apply in advance (deadline Oct. 1), and only those accepted into the Symposium may participate. This will enable the chairs to better tailor the Symposium to the needs of participants.
We will begin accepting applications in June via the ConfTool submission system. Application instructions are posted below, and questions about the process can be sent to to the chairs listed at the bottom of this page.
All iSchool undergraduates are invited to submit applications to this session. Through discussions and activities, students will engage with other undergraduates to meet each other, build a cohort, and discuss key topics.
To apply, students should write a brief letter of application (2 page maximum, pdf format) that includes:
- Name, Major, Department, Institution, and Expected Graduation Date
- Answers to the following questions (500 words maximum):
- What is your field of study (be as specific as you can) and what excites you about it? In other words, why are you studying what you are studying?
- What do you want to do after you have finished your undergraduate studies? Why?
Applications must be submitted in writing to our ConfTool submission site. All applications must be in English.
Accepted participants must purchase a conference registration in order to take part in the Undergraduate Symposium. Only accepted participants will be admitted; the Undergraduate Symposium is not open to observers.
At this time there is no funding for the Undergraduate Symposium, and would-be participants should apply with the understanding that they must cover all their costs associated with attending iConference 2019, including registration, travel and lodging.
Undergraduate Symposium Timeline
- Application deadline: October 1, 2018
- Decisions announced: Mid-November, 2018
- Symposium takes place: Saturday, March 30, 2019 (the day before the iConference begins)
Undergraduate Symposium Chairs
Questions about the Undergraduate Symposium should be directed to the chairs listed above.
For general questions about the iConference, please contact iConference Coordinator Clark Heideger.