The iConference is an annual gathering of a broad spectrum of scholars and researchers from around the world who share a common concern about critical information issues in contemporary society. The iConference pushes the boundaries of information studies, explores core concepts and ideas, and creates new technological and conceptual configurations—all situated in interdisciplinary discourses. Click here for past proceedings and conference summaries.
The iConference series was established in 2005 by the iSchools organization, a growing worldwide association of Information Schools dedicated to advancing the information field, and preparing students to meet the information challenges of the 21st Century. Each annual iConference is hosted by a different iSchools member-institution.
An openness to new ideas and research fields in information science is a primary characteristics of the event. Attendance has grown every year; participants appreciate the inspiring sense of community, high quality research presentations, and myriad opportunities for engagement.
iConference participants do not need to be affiliated with an iSchool; all information scholars, researchers and practitioners are welcome.
Sample topics of past iConferences include the following:
- information behavior
- social, cultural, health and community informatics
- human-computer interaction
- education in Library and Information Science
- information systems
- social computing
- information policy
- knowledge management
- information retrieval
- information services
- information organization
- digital curation and preservation
- bibliometrics and scholarly communication
- history and philosophy of information
- participatory cultures
- digital youth
- social computing
- human computer interaction
- knowledge infrastructures
- computer-supported cooperative work
- data, text and knowledge mining
- computational social science
- digital humanities
- network science
- information and communication technology for development
- data science
- information economics
- information work and workers
- user experience and design
- iConference 2018 will take place Sunday, March 25 through Wednesday, March 28, 2018, in Sheffield, UK. It will be jointly hosted by the University of Sheffield Information School and the iSchool at Northumbria. Visit the conference website for full details.
- iConference 2019 will be hosted by the University of Maryland iSchool. For advance information, click here.
Visit our Past Proceedings page for links to the official proceedings of each iConference, as well as links to conference summary pages containing ancillary artifacts (conference metrics, organizer names, program schedules, etc.) Click here to view.