The iConference is an annual gathering of a broad spectrum of scholars and researchers from around the world who share a common concern about critical information issues in contemporary society. The iConference pushes the boundaries of information studies, explores core concepts and ideas, and creates new technological and conceptual configurations—all situated in interdisciplinary discourses. Links to past proceedings can be found at the bottom of this page.
The iConference series was established in 2005 by the iSchools organization, a growing worldwide association of Information Schools dedicated to advancing the information field, and preparing students to meet the information challenges of the 21st Century. Each annual iConference is hosted by a different iSchools member-institution.
An openness to new ideas and research fields in information science is a primary characteristics of the event. Attendance has grown every year; participants appreciate the inspiring sense of community, high quality research presentations, and myriad opportunities for engagement.
iConference participants do not need to be affiliated with an iSchool; all information scholars, researchers and practitioners are welcome.
Sample topics of past iConferences include the following:
- information behavior
- social, cultural, health and community informatics
- human-computer interaction
- education in Library and Information Science
- information systems
- social computing
- information policy
- knowledge management
- information retrieval
- information services
- information organization
- digital curation and preservation
- bibliometrics and scholarly communication
- history and philosophy of information
- participatory cultures
- digital youth
- social computing
- human computer interaction
- knowledge infrastructures
- computer-supported cooperative work
- data, text and knowledge mining
- computational social science
- digital humanities
- network science
- information and communication technology for development
- data science
- information economics
- information work and workers
- user experience and design
- iConference 2017 will be jointly hosted by the Wuhan University School of Information Management and the Sungkyunkwan University Library & Information Science and Data Science Department. Held in Wuhan, China, it will be the first iConference to take place in Asia. Click here for a preview.
- After China, the iConfernce will return to Europe. iConfernce 2018 will be jointly hosted by the University of Sheffield Information School and the Northumbria University Department of Mathematics and Information Sciences. Details will be posted when available.
Use the links below to view the official proceedings and other artifacts from past iConferences.
iConference 2016, Philadelphia, PA, USA
iConference 2015, Newport Beach, CA, USA
iConference 2014, Berlin, Germany
iConference 2013, Fort Worth, TX, USA
iConference 2012, Toronto, Canada
iConference 2011, Seattle, USA
iConference 2010, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
iConference 2009, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
iConference 2008, Los Angeles, USA
iConference 2006, University of Michigan
iConference 2005, Penn State